Shona started her dance journey at the young age of 2 following in her older sisters footsteps. She started her training with Gloria Doneathy, moving to Keldon School of Dance where she later taught for several years before opening her own school.
Variety of Classes Available
sign up now to receive your free taster class
Welcome to the ZEST Dance Studio!
Dance is not a competition, it’s a passion
ZEST Dance Studios originally opened in St Francis of Assisi Church Hall in July 2004. Then known as The Shona Boocock Academy of Dance, Miss Shona opened her doors with only 3 students all aged 3. The school quickly grew and now holds classes for children aged 2 to 18 along with a range of adult classes.
A sense of belonging and family is core to our studio. All students are given the opportunity to perform in our annual shows and are able to apply to join our successful competition team.
Following lockdown in 2020 our classes were moved onto an online platform via ZOOM, which we are committed to continuing for any of our students who are isolated or shielding throughout the pandemic.
In line with our Child Protection Policy please note the following guidelines
• Given the physical nature of dance, some physical contact by the teacher may be necessary but will never be inappropriate. Physical contact will only take place with the consent of the participant and the purpose of the contact will be clear.
• We will expect all pupils to work with each other and again physical contact may be necessary. We will expect this to be done in a sensible and respectful manner.
• All teachers hold an enhanced disclosure certificate from the Criminal Records Bureau/ ISA registered.
• A risk assessment of ZEST Dance Studios has been carried out and our teachers and staff adhere to the health and safety recommendations from the document.
• Photography or video of your child taking part in classes will not be allowed. However a video will be made of the Academy performance and this will be made available for purchase.
If you wish to read our full child protection policy, please request this…
All students are expected to and are responsible to follow the code of conduct and regulations at all times.
• You are expected to act in a courteous manner to staff and fellow students at all times and any form of bullying will not be tolerated. You should be friendly, supportive and helpful, respectful and work sensibly with your fellow class mates at all times. Respectful and proper behaviour is expected in all areas of the building, including waiting areas.
• Please arrive at least 5 mins prior to the published class time. This allows for a prompt start and ensures that you have time to warm up for the session.
• You are expected to apply yourself in class, to listen and pay attention, not talk unless instructed to, take corrections and try hard the first time.
• We expect you to do assigned homework and practice corrections at home.
• You are expected to wear the correct uniform for class, hair off the face and not a distraction, in a bun for girls, no jewellery or watches, and have all required equipment with you.
• Teachers are there to help you. If you have any questions you can approach them.
• ZEST Dance Studios reserves the right to substitute artists, vary the advertised programme or cancel classes if necessary.
• No refunds can be given unless a class is cancelled. All pre-booked classes, master classes and courses are non-refundable and non transferable at the point of sale.
• Changing rooms are there for a reason. All outdoor clothes must be left in the changing room.
• You should inform your teacher of any injury or illness prior to the beginning of class.
• Any injury or pain incurred during class should be reported to the teacher immediately. If you are ill or injured it is your responsibility to stop, notify the teacher and seek help.
• Prior to the beginning of class, you should inform your teacher and ask permission from teachers if you have to leave early. You must inform the staff when you are leaving the building. • Eating is not permitted in the studios at any time. Gum should not be chewed during class.
• You must not touch or use any equipment or sets in the studios without supervision from your teacher.
• If you have any concerns regarding the class, teacher or other students you should speak to Miss Shona.
• ZEST Dance Studios is a working environment and for everyone’s safety please do not run or shout in either the corridors or studio spaces unless instructed to by a member of staff.
• For safety reasons, latecomers will not be allowed to join in class after the first 10 minutes.
ZEST Dance Studios reserves the right to take action if we consider that any individual is not acting in an appropriate manner or complying with the above terms.
Please note that the foyer is a public space; please do not leave your children in the foyer unattended.
Due to the space being public students must not change in the foyer at any time.
Accident, Injury & Illness
During class: Please make your teacher aware of any aches, pains or illness you sustain during class. This will enable us to assess if you are fit to continue.
Any accident resulting in injury inside the studio will be entered into the company accident book.
If a severe accident or injury is incurred your parents will be contacted immediately and if necessary hospital treatment will be sought. In some cases of illness your parents may be contacted to collect you. In cases of minor injury, accident or illness your teacher will speak to your parents at the end of the session. Due to the number of aches and pains dancers get, your niggles will not be reported directly to parents by ZEST Dance Studios. If you are attending class with an injury or illness: If you are unwell or have a pre-existing injury you must make us aware of:
• The nature of your illness or injury
• If injured, when and how it occurred
• What you are able to do and what you should avoid
Please note that we encourage students to come in and watch class even if they are injured as there is always so much to learn. However, please do not come into class if you are sick- we might all catch it!
If you are unable to attend class:
If you are unable to attend class due to emergency or illness on the day of class please contact Miss Shona.
In the event of a teacher being ill or injured we will try to find a suitable substitute teacher. If a teacher is ill or injured on the day of class and sessions have to be cancelled or shortened, we will contact parents where possible. Students will never be left at the studio alone.
• All equipment, uniform & personal items should be clearly marked with your name
• Please immediately inform us of any lost property arrange collecting it. Any un-claimed property will be thrown away.
• ZEST Dance Studios accepts no responsibility for any loss of property.
ZEST Dance Studios is run by a very friendly and approachable team and we are always more than happy to speak to parents about anything to do with the students training. A member of the team will always come to great students and parents at the start of class so if you have any quick questions then please let them know. Class can get very busy so if you would like to have a longer discussion then please email us to let us know and we will arrange a time that will be convenient. Contact with our teachers when away from class should be by e-mail or via the school facebook page and group only.
All classes are run from our studio:
ZEST Dance Studios
Meet your dance instructors
All teaching faculty have been carefully selected by Miss Shona. The syllabus taught at ZEST Dance Studios is IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association).
What our students say
My daughter loves being part of the Zest family. She feels supported and encouraged and has made some wonderful friendships. As a mum it’s reassuring seeing her progress but it’s even more important to me that she is doing so while having so much fun!
Thank you so much, especially for keeping the classes going during lockdown, I cannot tell you what a positive impact this consistency has had.
My little girl loves Zest not only for the dancing but she is part of a team and has made some lovely friendships. Shona and her team of teachers not only teach her ballet and tap but build confidence and encourage team work and support for all the dancers.
My Daughter has danced here since age 4, they are like an extended family. She says “I love it, even if you think you don’t like ballet, there are lots of different dances to try”. So many opportunities to perform in different settings.
My 5 year old daughter has been dancing with Zest for just over a year now and absolutely loves it. Her confidence has grown so much- starting off shy and quiet to now dancing solos on stage at competitions! She looks forward to to her classes and has had opportunities to take exams and perform on stage, but most importantly has lots of fun and has made new friends at Zest- we both highly recommend!
My daughter has been attending Zest dance school since she was 4 years old. She has absolutely loved every minute since then! The whole dance school is so friendly and we soon felt part of the dance family there. Dancing is taken seriously but there’s lots of fun along the way too and my daughter has lots of friends there. She loves being part of the shows and had become competent in different dance styles such as ballet, tap, modern and theatre craft and over the last year has developed to start entering competitions which is lots of fun and she really enjoys it. The shows are amazing and I’ve never been prouder watching my little girl up there on stage, it’s been fantastic for her self confidence.
If you are looking for a dance school for your child where the emphasis is on enjoying dance and making long lasting friendships, then Zest is the place for you.
Just wanted to say that my girls have been coming since just before they were both 2 do over 5 years and they love it. The school has a real close knit family feel and the older kids look after the little ones and help them grow.
Shona quite rightly runs a tight ship and commands respect when teaching – the kids naturally listen and follow her lead. There is such a variety of ballet, tap, modern, theatre craft and gymnastics. There are two shows a year as well as exams and competitions which the kids absolutely love, they are buzzing after, they smile throughout and all try their very best. As a parent it makes you so proud to be part of such a lovely group.
It is truly an excellent dance school. I have met new friends for life as have the kids and I would recommend it, without hesitation, to anyone who was looking for a new class.